Tri-County Mall is located in the northern Cincinnati suburb of Springdale, at the interchange of Ohio Route 747 and Interstate 275. It was the first regional shopping mall to be built in Metro-Cincinnati.
The center was proposed in 1956 by Jeffrey Lazarus, who headed the Cincinnati-based Shillito’s department store chain. Ground was broken for the 25 million dollar project in July of 1959; the grand opening took place on September 26, 1960. At the time, TRI-COUNTY was an open-air mall of 52 stores, anchored by Shillito’s and Pogue’s. There was also a Kresge 5 and 10 and a Kroger supermarket.
Around 1969, the mall’s concourse (extending between the Shillito’s and Pogue’s department stores) was enclosed, this in keeping with the contemporary idea of a closed-in, fully climate-controlled, shopping environment. There was also a second -enclosed- concourse added at this time, as well as a new Sears anchor at its end.
Another major renovation occurred in 1990, following the opening of the much larger FOREST FAIR MALL, which was located only four miles away. At this time, much of the early-60′s “space age” architecture at TRI-COUNTY was torn out, and a second level was added to the concourses. A food court and an atrium, with two-tiered waterfall fountain, was installed and a large parking garage was also built in the rear parking lot.
The present-day, 170 store “super regional mall” is anchored by Macy’s, Dillard’s and Sears, and operated by the Thor Equities Corporation of New York, New York.